• Search
  • Tools

Spyglass- Enjoy the new render distance!

  • #1 Jul 22, 2014

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #2 Jul 22, 2014

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    ~ I support the "new" EULA ~

  • #3 Jul 22, 2014

    This is a great idea, but you might want to expand upon it more; what's the crafting recipe? How far does it zoom? That kind of stuff.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    I'm on a bit of a hiatus from playing Minecraft, so I'm not so active in this forum, either. I still check it though, and participate in a few discussions.

  • #4 Jul 22, 2014

    thebaum64

    • View User Profile
    • View Posts
    • Send Message
    Curse Premium

    View thebaum64's Profile

    • Cobalt Miner
    • Location: Unknown
    • Join Date: 3/26/2014
    • Posts: 8,369
    • Location: discord.gg/AdTUsPUxyA
    • Minecraft: thebaum64_
    • Xbox: thebaum64x
    • Nintendo: SW-4996-7661-8294
    • Discord: thebaum64#1425
    • PMC: thebaum64
    • Member Details

    Does not fit Minecraft, however, If you could make a telescope :) it would.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #5 Jul 22, 2014

    Does not fit Minecraft, however, If you could make a telescope :) it would.

    If fish that shoot lasers are in minecraft, I think anything fits the theme now.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #6 Jul 22, 2014

    Does not fit Minecraft, however, If you could make a telescope :) it would.

    I'm not sure how a spyglass is any less a fit in Minecraft than a telescope would be. Also, the tripod-mounted spyglass could be more like a telescope if that's what people want. That could justify a higher zoom on on the mounted version, too.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #7 Jul 22, 2014

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #8 Jul 22, 2014

    thebaum64

    • View User Profile
    • View Posts
    • Send Message
    Curse Premium

    View thebaum64's Profile

    • Cobalt Miner
    • Location: Unknown
    • Join Date: 3/26/2014
    • Posts: 8,369
    • Location: discord.gg/AdTUsPUxyA
    • Minecraft: thebaum64_
    • Xbox: thebaum64x
    • Nintendo: SW-4996-7661-8294
    • Discord: thebaum64#1425
    • PMC: thebaum64
    • Member Details

    I like the crafting recipe :)

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #9 Jul 23, 2014

    Why not right click you use it to show the player 'holding' it? It could be sort of like the Optifine zoom function except more fitting.

    Support.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #11 Jul 23, 2014

    Kursze

    • View User Profile
    • View Posts
    • Send Message

    View Kursze's Profile

    • The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
    • Location: The separatist province
    • Join Date: 7/17/2013
    • Posts: 543
    • Location: OH CANADAAAAAAA
    • Minecraft: Kursze
    • Xbox: xXx_BILLY_xXx
    • Member Details

    I see this and I feel like there's tons of possibilities.

    Although,I suggest that the tripod version of the spyglass should zoom further than the portable version,as players wouldn't use the tripod at all if they were the same.

    I also really like the crafting recipe.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #12 Jul 23, 2014

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #13 Jul 23, 2014

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #14 Jul 23, 2014

    No support.

    This can cause lag, and please, I don't like the idea of zooming in. It just doesn't seem fair or fitting.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    Faith in humanity lowered.

                                                      
  • #15 Jul 23, 2014

    I would love to see this implemented. That said, I can add some improvements:

    -To counter the infamous Lagument, the spyglass should be able to either see close-up in a wide view, or farther away but in a very narrow view. This would mean that a minimal amount of chunks are loaded and rendered at any time.

    -When using the Spyglass, you can scroll with your mouse wheel to zoom in and out. The lowest zoom level is standard vision, and it can zoom in until it it reaches the maximum range of 32 chunks, twice the maximum render distance. Since only a small area of chunks are loaded and rendered compared to looking without the spyglass, this would cause much less lag than setting the render distance to 32 chunks. Moving the mouse around would move the spyglass, allowing you to look around.

    -The Spyglass lense can be placed on an item frame, as suggested by the OP. When placed on glass, glass panes, stained glass or stained glass panes, you can use the spyglass like normal, but with the zoom range capped at 8 chunks. If placed on another non-opaque block such as slabs, stairs, or chests, it will still be able to see through, but you cannot zoom. In both cases, the block you place it on can only be one-layer thick to be viewable. Viewing through a thick wall, or zooming through a wall will just yield a black screen because your view is blocked.

    -In addition to using the spyglass for this awesome effects, let map makers take full advantage of it! Using a new command like /spyglass, command blocks can make the player view as if from a spyglass. The command syntax should include parameters for the player name, the coordinates of where the player is zooming from, the starting direction, and how far they can aim and zoom in and out. A command like /spyglass [name] clear should be used to stop the player from viewing a spyglass. Note that you would not need a spyglass to exist to view from it.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #16 Jul 24, 2014

    With regards to lag, I don't expect this to be showing any chunks you aren't already rendering; just with more detail. The new snapshots increased the max render distance to 32 chunks, so we'll have plenty to look at.

    I like the idea of zooming with scroll or by rotating the item frame- ideally, if an array of item frame lenses merges to one (and not an insect eye effect of being individual), it would make sense to have them all rotate simultaneously when one is clicked.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • To post a comment, please login.

Posts Quoted:

Reply

Clear All Quotes